This morning I read an interesting blog from Literacy, Families & Learning about the importance of reading to boys. In it Australian psychologist, linguist and educator, Dr Trevor Carney gives reasons why you must read to your boys and some tips on how to get them started. His article is worth reading if you want to help your boy engage with reading and set the foundation for him to improve his reading skills.
Dr Carney says:
Reasons to read to boys.
- Books widen knowledge, increase vocabulary and teach about language and the world
- Being read to at home helps reading success at school
- Reading to your child strengthens your relationship with them
- Reading to boys helps develop their attention
- When you read to your boy, it can help reduce their screen time.
Tips to get boys interested in reading
- Find books that make them laugh, learn new things, include curious facts, and show how things work
- Don't forget the value of stories. Until boys understand the value of stories they may not be attracted to reading
- Where possible make sure the boy's father reads to and with him. Fathers have a special role in in encouraging boys to read
- Comic books and magazines can be a good place to start.
If you would like to read Dr Carney's complete blog click here.